Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tough Run, but I got'er done

Well I finished my long run for the week but it wasn't easy.









So far my favorite place to run is about 20 min. from me, around lacamas lake.

I love it because it is a trail and so there is little asphalt or concrete to run on.  Also it is relatively flat in total but a good variety of undulation to keep it interesting.  Another great thing about it is that it has 1/4 mile marks along the way.

So as usual, I started out about 30min to an hour later than i had planed.  Hands were cold for the first mile and by about mile 4 I had the sleeves off my jacket running in my vest.

I think this was the earliest I hit my second mental wall on a long run.  Usually I hit an initial, what I think is a physical, wall about 1/4 way into a run and then the real one somewhere in the last 1/4.  I seem to always hit the first wall, but on shorter runs sometimes the second wall doesn't come.

Anyway, today I felt low on energy even though I ran the pace I wanted to (8.5 mm).  I was trying not to watch my pace on my watch too intently in the hopes that it would mellow me out and also to test if I was able to feel a pace rather than monitor it.

At the half way mark I had a hard time turning around.  I stopped to stretch for a min.  and as I started out again I began to dread the return trip.  The first quarter mile back that evil voice in my head started to say ever so kindly, "its ok if you don't run the whole way"  "you can walk the last mile" "take it easy you don't really need to do this today".  Well not really sure how but my body didn't listen and I just kept plugging away.  (thank you ipod)

With 2 miles to go, I ran into a small race that had been organized for the day for part of the trail.  This guy came hauling around a corner at me and then another, and another.  I think it was a 5k and 10k.  Now those guys are runners!  I was about a 1/4 mile out from their finish when the first guy I saw coming at me earlier came flying past.  By the time I got to their finish line their race time said something like 16 min.  I'm sure that guy was running sub 5's!!!

I glanced at my watch and noticed that I was running 7:30's from the energy of being with the racers!  Slow down Matt.

Anyway, I made it back finishing 7.5 miles in just over an hour, took a cool down walk around Round Lake with my dog J and now want to take a nap.

Since I'm playing with video's here's one shot from my ipod of the trail.  Dad you may remember this.

2 comments:

  1. Watching your watch is like standing at the stove watching/waiting for water to boil. Could put your watch in your pocket? Sounded like you just about got run over running the wrong way, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Your "run" is like my "sprint". You are fast!

    ReplyDelete