Friday, February 18, 2011

Powder day!

What a day wed.  second week in a row I used some leave at work to go up to mt. hood meadows.  We finally had a storm blow in leaving Mt. Hood with a couple of feet of fresh snow.  I tried to pick my day in the hopes that it would be the first day they opened the top of the mountain.  It remained closed for the day but there was plenty of fun fresh snow!!

I'm trying another website for my videos so we'll see how it works.  Should be better picture quality (and my editing skills are improving).  Here's the link.  Powder Day

Funny thing happened on my way back home.  I stopped at Sparky's pizza (awsome pizza!!) which is beginning to become a tradition after a day on the mountain.  As I was sitting there with the place to my self, and this guy walked in that looked a lot like the Todd Hoffman from a show I started watching on discovery channel, Gold Rush Alaska.

He noticed I was eyeing him, and when he ordered I knew it was him.  Kind of funny, didn't want him to feel uncomfortable so I contemplated letting him know that I recognized him.  Had to do it though, I went to refill my soda, and simply said, "Hey, I like your show".  And after small talk about his family and his interest in moving up there but his wife wasn't keen on the long winter thing he left.

His show had brought back some good memories.  Growing up in the big city of Anchorage my parents bought an a frame cabin in a small mining town Hope Alaska.  And by small I mean population 100 :-).  Used to joke with my Mom about the city dump being a single dumpster in a gravel pit.  Now this is a cabin, not a lower 48 house that you go to in the woods, a cabin.  For most of my child hood it didn't have electricity, no running water, wood stove, propane tank oven.  A real cabin.  What great memories!  thank Mom and Dad!

Anyway it was kind of cool to bump into the guy in a very normal, down to earth place.  People are just people.

No comments:

Post a Comment