Friday, February 4, 2011

Testing out ski gear

All right, so I took the afternoon off from work after obsessing about the weather report and headed up to Meadows to take my new pair of skis for a whirl.  I was very anxious to ski these because even though a lot had changed when I bought my last pair of ski's almost 10 years ago, I've been hearing that the new technology is pretty awesome and fun.

Here is a pic of my old ski's next to my new ones.

The Bandit XX on the right were considered a "mid-fat" which essentially meant they were wide under foot but not the widest widest at the time.  They measure out at about 76mm under foot and when I got them they pretty much changed they way I skied powder, crud completely.

Now!  The Rossignol Super 7!!  This is 117 under foot and have what they call Rocker and Traditional Camber (Camber is a whole other topic that I'll pass on for now).  I had done my homework (talking with others, reading websites and magazines) but I hadn't taken them them for a test ride, which is highly recommended when buying new skis.  Rossignol sold out of the 2011 models so they released 2012 models this week and I was lucky enough to grab a pair.

The other picture is a shot of the graphic on my new skis for my Mom.  They are frog themed and I thought you might appreciate that.  :-)

Ok, so I hadn't skied this kind of ski yet, and felt like I had taken a bit of gamble.   This type of ski's primary purpose is powder not hard pack or ice due to their shape and width (slower getting them on their edge).  The Pacific Northwest has had quite a sad January for ski weather (it's been warm and even rainy, so much so, that Mt. Hood has lost over a foot of its base).  We haven't seen fresh snow since around Christmas!!

So even though the evening forecast called for above freezing temps, strong winds, fog and mist I headed up because I had to try out the new sticks, and night tickets are much cheaper than full day.

Well when I got there I got a much more accurate weather report from myself.  45mph gusts, full on rain, and temps around 40!!!  As I watched people coming into the lodge dretnched to the bone begging for refunds drenched to the bone I contemplated not even going.  After some time talking to the local staff I reminded myself that the whole purpose of coming up was for the $29 night lift ticket and told myself that I'd do 3-4 runs, 5 tops.  (I even asked jokingly if I could pay 5 buck a run).  They actually offered me a garbage bag poncho to wear!

Well, after a couple of hours (and a lot more than 5 runs) I was ecstatic about my new skis.  Even laughing out loud as I finished some steep lines all by myself.  I didn't even notice that my Burton coat had kept me completely dry, even though I looked like I had been standing in the shower.

So before leaving I ran to my car for one last run before it got too dark to try out my new helmet cam (thanks Lindsey).  It was such nasty weather and and being so anxious to try out yet another new toy, I rushed setting it up, so the camera is pointed way to low.  It's a terrible video but they'll get better as I work out the bugs.  This is a run down 2 bowl, and what looks like dirt, is actually material that has fallen off the trees since the snow has melted so much :-(  didn't hurt the skis at all :-)





I'm also playing with video sizes and editing so please be patient with me.

All and all a great day!  I am so happy with my ski's they do much better then my old ones even on the icy hard pack.  And they it felt like I was water skiing in the slush!  My new Burton coat kept me completely dry and the camera was a kick to play with.

Tomorrow is my weekly long run in the morning around the lake and then Sunday are plans for another return to the mountain.  (I hope we get at least a dusting from this storm)

As I get ready for bed, I had a memory of getting my first pair of ski's from my parents for Christmas when I was in 7th grade.  Elan's with Geeze bindings.  I actually slept with them that night.  Should I go grab my new Rossi's from the garage before I crawl in bed....

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you were the only one up there. I see what you mean about the mount, but it will get better with practice:) Are you going to run with your camera on? Maybe just write about that)

    ReplyDelete